Why does it take so long to load on first launch?

I dont really care because when i sit down to play i will play for several hours so 3 minutes is no big deal. But im curious if anyone knows. The character select screen and all that loads fine but the initial "loading..." screen sometimes takes around 5 or 6 min to load. Anyone know why?

As far as pc specs im running an i7 with 6GB RAM and a dedicated gpu (radeon 6850) my HDD's are all 7200 rpm, so is it taking a long time to pull the data off the drive? does it load a large amount of data into memory before "launching"?
"
sweetaction wrote:
I dont really care because when i sit down to play i will play for several hours so 3 minutes is no big deal. But im curious if anyone knows. The character select screen and all that loads fine but the initial "loading..." screen sometimes takes around 5 or 6 min to load. Anyone know why?

As far as pc specs im running an i7 with 6GB RAM and a dedicated gpu (radeon 6850) my HDD's are all 7200 rpm, so is it taking a long time to pull the data off the drive? does it load a large amount of data into memory before "launching"?

SSD's my friend...once you get them you can never go back its night/day.

my gaming laptop without SSD's takes as long as what you describe...my laptop with SSD's and AMD 7970m? 15 seconds.
~SotW HC Guild~

Last edited by scorpitron on Mar 22, 2013, 12:01:25 PM
I've played on a few different computers and it takes a minute or so on each of them for me also.
Seems to be random for me, but suddenly got worse recently.

Get stuck on loading screen, no graphic - takes ages for character selection to pop up. If I leave it full screen, can't even alt-tab out.

I now start game, go to window mode - surf the net until I hear the character select music. Some days it's really fast, other days it takes ages.
The game needs to preload most of the assets y'know.
take back my time of 15 seconds...just did a few tests, turned pc on off loaded poe and loaded again a few times...

loads in between 10 and 13 seconds on my SSD.

I have lost patience for HDD's. if you dont have the money for full SSD This is a very nice alternative:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Desktop-Caching-SSD-SDSSDRC-032G-G26/dp/B008U3038I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358964374&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+readycache

few freinds picked that up and boot went from really long like OP explains to closer to what I exp. has its limitations of course but that's why its so cheap.
~SotW HC Guild~

I get that a SSD would greatly improve load times for ALL games, but POE is still way longer than other games of it's type. I did a quick test of three similar games, POE, Diablo 3(no i don't play it anymore and I don't want to) and Torchlight 2. These were my times

POE: 1 min 26 seconds
Diablo 3: 24 seconds
Torchlight 2: 26 seconds

Now I'm playing on a notebook and i purposely use the power saver mode to save on power and heat at the expense of performance, but what is the reason for the huge differences between the games? A solid state drive is nice, but that is a solution for decreasing load times for all games, not a reason for why it is so long for POE in the first place.

I'm going to check the times for some other games (skyrim, starcraft 2, etc) to see if I'm crazy or POE is just a LOT longer than any other game I own.

P.S. 1st post! yo ^^
I know PoE takes a long time to load, but I swear it feels longer than a minute or so without a loading bar.

It's a psychological thing, methinks.
All the things I want to remember are in the places I'd like to forget.
That load time is a bit slow, isn't it? I load off of an SSD, and it still feels slow to me, compared to other games that I load off of the same drive.

Nowhere near as long as your 5-6 minutes, though.

Maybe 30 seconds for me. I guess I'm impatient. That's slow, to me.
"
That load time is a bit slow, isn't it? I load off of an SSD, and it still feels slow to me, compared to other games that I load off of the same drive.

Nowhere near as long as your 5-6 minutes, though.

Maybe 30 seconds for me. I guess I'm impatient. That's slow, to me.

It seriously takes a long time to load for me. Maybe im having platter issues. Ill scan my drives tonight and see if i need to replace the HDD's.

Besides my relatively longer times (as others are reporting around 1 minute) Does anyone know why POE takes so much longer to load than other games comparatively?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info