More informative passive tree

Hi everyone, i hope i got the most appropriate section on the forum for this.

I'm a bit frustrated by the use of the in-game passive tree so I'm posting this suggestion which could ease the experience for lots of players.

I made two sort of mockups for my idea since one picture is better than a thousand words. The screenshots are from the website tree but the idea works nonetheless.

It would be very helpful, especially for new/learning players, to have more informative nodes. There should be some kind of preview of the actual changes if you pick a certain node from the tree.
I made examples for life node and dex/attack speed which for sure are very basic. For more complex node such it would be even more useful.

In this case dexterity also changes evasion %, would be nice to include that too.

This feature, in my opinion, could help new players understand what each node really does, eliminating much of the guess work and also help remember the effects of the passives (e.g. "so..again...that was additive or multiplicative?..gotta check the wiki..again")

Small visual issue:
The color of enabled links when having a passive point available is far too similar to taken links. Basically i would just eliminate the highlighting but maybe a dotted highlight would work too.

I hope you find this feedback helpful. Looking forward to a more usable in-game passive skill tree!

edit:
Before the "it's designed to be hard" response: i don't think this suggestion simplifies anything from a gaming perspective, it's just a convenience from a practical viewpoint (that's why computer where invented, to do math). The same convenience that will come from third party site or tools. It's better to give the tools in-game and have people hover those nodes and think about them and actully playing (i love the way you're always inside the actual game when logged in) instead of just copying the streamer's builds and complain on what's OP and what's not.

Anyway, if the idea won't be considered, at least do this:

...and save the last on-screen position on the skill tree when closed, not just the zoom level.
Last edited by lepre84 on Mar 8, 2013, 11:21:14 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
edit:

From the reddit suggestion i'll add this here too

Obviously it's just a mockup. GGG would work on graphical consistency :)
Last edited by lepre84 on Mar 14, 2013, 8:31:47 AM
I completely agree with this whole post and think it is a phenomenal idea! I also think on the skilltree builder on the website, it should have an option to "view player profile" and show what that player's stats would be with whatever basic weapon (glass shank, crude bow, etc) or basic armor they choose would be, so you could plan your build easier. I am rerolling my character now because I loved the changes they made on the new skill tree but was going in the wrong direction.

I also spent a while labeling my points on my skilltree 1-104 so I know what order I want to level in and also made an Excel file showing what my total bonuses will be at the end.

I get bored @ work :-/
"
ThornyKate wrote:

I also spent a while labeling my points on my skilltree 1-104 so I know what order I want to level in and also made an Excel file showing what my total bonuses will be at the end.

I get bored @ work :-/

Thanks for the support :)

For passives totals you can use exilepro tool
Last edited by lepre84 on Mar 10, 2013, 12:42:40 PM
This seems like a very good idea, makes deciding between some differend nodes easier as you can see the actual effect each node has for your character.

But you should most likely post this to Suggestions section :)
"An it harm none, do what you will"
Last edited by Torguemada on Mar 10, 2013, 1:14:24 PM
"
Torguemada wrote:
This seems like a very good idea, makes deciding between some differend nodes easier as you can see the actual effect each node has for your character.

But you should most likely post this to Suggestions section :)

I'll ask a mod to move the thread
This would be the best implementation ever since the creation of this game! The game tells you so very little about what impact a passive skill point has and new players can mess up so easily. I know I did in the past more than enough. I sure hope the developers pick up on this idea fast :-)
+1 for this idea, it'll remove a lot of headaches when choosing points on the fly :)
"%^#*##*%$#&^&(&(%$^*&" - Flameblast 1.0.4
I agree with both suggestions.
I see an issue where you have multiple points available say from killing piety or from respecs, before you apply the points the game would have to calculate based of the next node picked, then store that as your new stats. Then when you pick the next node, the game would have to calculate off the stored as if you really had those stats node.
It could also get really fucked up if there was a skill tree reset.
While it would be great, this does not seem easy to implement at all!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info