Orb of Chance

In its current form I feel that the Orb of Chance is useless. It is pretty much a orb of transmutation.. The chances of rolling a rare item are just to astronomical with it, making them very useless. I read somewhere that the ratio was something like 1 out of 704 now i think my number might be a little off that's way to high. Why not make it like 1 out of 15 chance of making a rare item with like 1 in a 1000 to make a unique. This would give them some sort of usability I think.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
1 out of 1000 in my opinion aint too bad, all depends the rarity of the unique, however rare 1/10 would be kinda OK imo?
Well you have to think of it this way there are Orbs for making rares instantly, There are orbs for completely rerolling a rare, there are orbs for completely rerolling the mods percentages of a rare. So its not like its a big deal to make rares its a huge part of this game to be able to craft items with the currency otherwise everyone would hold onto it and not use it. So why does the orb of chance have such an outrageously low percentage of making a rare? if it was 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 15 maybe like 1 out of 8 with that small chance of making a unique they would be more valuable in the crafting game and not a orb that just collects dust like augmentations =P.
My templar has found exactly one orb of chance, and it made a (quite decent for level) rare. 100% success rate!

In all seriousness, the point of the orb of chance isn't to reliably get rares - as far as I'm aware (and this may have changed, I haven't looked into it for a whole) it's the same chance of rare as an item drop has of upgrading from magic to rare. The orb of chance is effectively a "free" drop that you know will be at least magic, but has a regular drop's chances of being higher rarity, and you get to chose the base type of that drop. I don't personally feel it needs to specifically make rares more likely than that.
Orbs of chance are fine, it's like 1 in 20 or something for a rare already, just try a stack of them on some rings or something.
What if an orb of chance could use any kind of item (plain magic, rare) as input?

That would differentiate it from the other currency items that can make rares, and provide an alternative to using orbs of scouring to save that sweet base item you want to craft.

At the same time the % chance to make a rare could be upped a bit (I agree with the OP it is way to low now. I've used 30+ of these things playing around and only ever gotten 1 rare, which seems lucky now).
"
trixytim wrote:
What if an orb of chance could use any kind of item (plain magic, rare) as input?

That would differentiate it from the other currency items that can make rares, and provide an alternative to using orbs of scouring to save that sweet base item you want to craft.
That would either lower their value drastically, or make them far too good. Lower value if you could roll lower rarity than what you currently have, more value if it was guaranteed to improve rarity.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
I personally find orb of chance as a more reliable source of obtaining scourings and regrets instead of using them craft new items directly. It can be expensive to convert them to scourings/regrets but at least I know what to expect when I use them. Orb of chance can give really random properties that I may not want.
The Orb of Chance for me currently is nothing more than tradeoff for scouring orb with is worth orb of alchemy on market as i know.

So now GGG look at this :

4 chance = scouring = alchemy = 100% rare = orb of chance 1/4 chance to get rare

Additionaly:

1/4 chance = 4 tries at avarange to get 1 rare = 4 white items required while alchemy just need 1 white = more scouring used or base white items used (and i doubt about the second option if you really want to roll a USEFULL gear)

So i would say that FAIR chance to roll rare by orb of chance would be 33%.

ThxKKBye
Oherwise it will be useless as it is now ,it would always end up better statisticaly to just trade them for scouring.
Last edited by herflik on Mar 26, 2012, 7:20:46 AM
Orb of chance is solely used for 1 single purpose outside of trading for scour, and that is to roll a controlled uni. However, if unique is 1/1000, then that unique must be in the 1000/4 = 250 scour = 125 chaos. And there's currently not a whole lot of uniques which commands that price tag.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info