I played AOF templar this weekend. Important to note that I only got to level 42 and the end of act 1 in ruthless.

Looked at this nice build for inspiration, but did somethings different that I would like to put up for consideration.

Dumping Dex as a stat by taking Resolute looked like a good idea. With that in mind, crit became a no go.

I could also dump mana and take Blood Magic after a while.

For playing from level 1, I rushed AoF, just leaving the path the take Discipline and training for a little extra life. After that, I started the looong way down to Resolute. By this time, I was using a dex amulet to help hittting, that was a pain (without the amulet and another item, chance to hit was in the low 60s). After resolute, a new game. Could change those equip slots to more health to get things going easier.

Damage wasnt ever a problem. By the end of normal I had already removed some of the slotted supports from add fire dmg and add melee dmg to life steal on hit and item quantity.

Main attack for groups was still groundslam (that btw I found a pain, maybe there is a better AOE we can use?), but I was using a item rarity slooted heavy strike that was still one hitting anything, and 2 dmg slotted glacial for bosses and fire resistant champs.

After taking blood magic things went even better. I was in the mid of pumping up health and would go health regen and more dmg later, but my beta access ended.

This is how the build ended:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQUACqgxHQ9Iu-IXh5WHGoVh5hrQlIIbzk5NHRGvtCKgHsIqQ7nXK3I55C2W5Ss3xCN_QowxWUgzp5xJEHjFTWag5V8uablxt7nfcp9W1HbsFHl3zwJZeOOzV3wsV3qAyTPVg1RE2YmDkySThx9-ltUEeptvQkqqBTpWqg4KMKtlVdKvmKCOsrDHMbPUfJO3otBqueU_vcDmWG_HQaqWygGufc0SrI7TrqJq3Om1j_DdSHTzR3cY98twGf8VHDc=

This would be the build later:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQUACqgxHQ9Iu-IXh5WHGoVh5hrQlIIbzk5NHRGvtCKgHsIqQ7nXK3I55C2W5Ss3xCN_QowxWUgzp5xJEHjFTWag5V8uablxt7nfcp9W1HbsFHl3zwJZeOOzV3wsV3qAyTPVg1RE2YmDkySThx9-ltUEeptvQkqqBTpWqg4KMKtlVdKvmKCOsrDHMbPUfJO3otBqueU_vcDmWG_HQaqWygGufc0SrI7TrqJq3Om1j_DdSHTzR3cY98twGf8VHDeoL3qJqmuudvta7Q54TQG6ojeodjGTSffTP_B7y9UXz9E0PdcSIY8jzbEgV0M9xqzxbfumfduJLuaQpHArzcdDu6_foKh2tD0XFRfW1IvEqwHOOIsA1OTm

Any ideas?
I'm most interested in using this:
http://goo.gl/OUKBS

Or this for Mace/Shield + Shield Charge:
http://goo.gl/IVV2Y

I only played this build up to level 28 and had been using 2 hand maces with AoF and Blood magic.
Using a Quality Life Gain on Hit Gem + Ground Slam will actually net you life if it hits two or more monsters. I find it very enjoyable to use 5 life flasks and have unlimited 'mana'.

"
fccastro wrote:

Main attack for groups was still groundslam (that btw I found a pain, maybe there is a better AOE we can use?), but I was using a item rarity slooted heavy strike that was still one hitting anything, and 2 dmg slotted glacial for bosses and fire resistant champs.

Any ideas?

What was the problem with ground slam? What about grabbing the three Increased Area of Effect passives very early in the Templar tree near Celestial Walker?

"
Vyluis wrote:
I had a very similar build however I was planning on using Axes and Cleave instead of Staves and Groundslam. How would the two compare in damage?

Ground slam can actually reach about 1/3 of the screen away from you. I found it much better for destroying large mobs. It does equal damage to all targets where as cleave only does the majority of damage to the primary target.
Last edited by Jozen on Apr 3, 2012, 1:35:50 AM
CooL
"
What was the problem with ground slam? What about grabbing the three Increased Area of Effect passives very early in the Templar tree near Celestial Walker?

Migth be a great idea going for the increased aoes sometime.

Now to find the points :p
So even with AoF life leach and mana leech work?

I thought since the physical attacks become elemental, the leech no longer applies?
"
Warbrin wrote:
So even with AoF life leach and mana leech work?

I thought since the physical attacks become elemental, the leech no longer applies?

I can't vouch for that as I was using Life Gain on Hit which is quite different than Life Leech like 1% Physical Damage Gained as Life.

The Mana gain passives being suggested are On Kill. So again, doesn't matter the damage type.
I had a life leech and mana leech gloves for a while and they didnt seem to work, since AoF deal no physical dmg (all is converted to fire).

looks like AoF users need the life on hit and/or mana on kill ones...
Any idea of "Resolute Technique" (skill in strength side of tree that makes your hits never miss, but never crit) would be a good addition to this build?

Although i guess not b/c you most likely picking up accuracy points along the way
Last edited by Warbrin on Apr 6, 2012, 3:36:04 AM
i really like the way you build your templar beowulf and i'd say it is one of the most usefull ways at the moment.

+1 for that guide.
Got to resolute strength and still had almost no dex.

There arent many Dex notes in templar or marauder area.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info