How to save evasion or Acrobatics

So, I haven't hashed this out entirely, and Ive had a little tequila, so I'm just going to jot this down and open it to discussion.

Suggestion: Make evasion a resource that is constantly regenerating. If completely exhausted to 0, it stalls regeneration for a certain amount of time.

A chance based defensive stat will simply never be viable. So the answer is to put control back into the evasive style of gameplay. Make a few dex gems (or maybe flasks) that have different defensive functions.

- If no Evasion skills/flasks are equipped, evasion can function as a chance based systematic evade as it does now.
OR
- Make Acrobatics convert evasion into the resource being described by this idea.

- However implemented, a build can still opt out of evasion by using iron reflexes, which would work in the same way it does now.

Ability Examples:

"Backflip", consumes x amount of evasion, your character performs a backflip, moving a distance away from target and avoids all projectile attacks for x seconds.

"Blurred speed" upon activation, any physical damage that would be taken is instead applied to evasion. Or - reduces physical damage taken by x amount, like a granite flask but % based instead of flat value.

"Energy siphon" consumes x amount evasion, for the next X amount of time, spell damage taken increases attack speed and life leech by a significant amount

___

As for the resource itself, it could be very similar to energy shield/mana, accumulated through the primary or secondary stat on armor as it is now, and the abilities have scaling evasion cost.

OR,

for every set amount per character level evasion you have (ex. Level 1, 30 evasion, level 10, 50 evasion, level 25, 75 evasion, etc. idk im terrible at numbers) you receive one evasion "block", which acts as a single unit resource. Each ability costs 1-3 blocks. No limit to max amount of blocks you can have, other than evasion availability on gear your level
___

These are just quick ideas and not final solutions obviously, but I think theres enough here to represent the idea behind it. Discuss please!
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Evasion is not chance based.
"
glh5 wrote:
Evasion is not chance based.

Okay, doesnt change the fact that it still sucks, nor does it change the reasoning behind this concept
Armour also sucks. Life and ES are the only things that can work solo.
"
Armour also sucks. Life and ES are the only things that can work solo.

This concept doesnt remove the use of armor, life or ES. Not intended to work solo
I don't think evasion sucks. I've played a shadow with which I heavily focused on evasion. I used arrow dodging, acrobatics, phase acrobatics and enfeeble. I don't think it sucked at all. I found it to be very strong.

I would be very sad if evasion were to be changed. I like the way it is now.
"
glh5 wrote:
I don't think evasion sucks. I've played a shadow with which I heavily focused on evasion. I used arrow dodging, acrobatics, phase acrobatics and enfeeble. I don't think it sucked at all. I found it to be very strong.

As it is now, it can not be used on any long term hardcore build as the primary defensive stat. It is currently being revisited by the developers and will not remain as is for long.
Last edited by Craptain on Feb 7, 2013, 3:34:36 AM
"
Craptain wrote:
"
glh5 wrote:

As it is now, it can not be used on any long term hardcore build as the primary defensive stat. It is currently being revisited by the developers and will not remain as is for long.

You cannot expect, that every game mechanic would compete in hardcore. Hardcore is a very special league and not every game mechnic will work there well, because the trick is not to die. On default it's okay, to wager risks to die with good game mechanics. If the team trys to make every game defense mechanic/class/build option flawless for hardcore, game will suffer, because most favoured charakter builds are undying charakter builds. Game went easy mode.

Evasion cannot evade every attack or its op. Even if the team will go over it, they simply cannot let you evade every attack. And the attacks you cannot evade, you have to catch up with very high life pools and oh shit flasks. The same philosophy works on every defensive mechanic.
Anything they can do about evasion at this point would be good. Just nerf it a tad and then add additional possibilities of customization to evasion. Quite similar to my view so +1 to OP. Evasion needs aditional mechanics... some OP mentioned, some I mentioned a while ago. As it is right now its quite fine with some hp, but its not really as viable as just "tons of hp". Similarily to armor and ES, right now "tons of hp" is hands-down the best option for any char.
This is so asinine...

I'm sick and tired of people going on and on about how each of the defenses is bad. They all have strengths and weaknesses, and if you're being serious about the matter then you should know that if you itemize around those differences then you'll have an effective defense. I realize that ARPG players sometimes have a difficult time with critical thinking, but you really should try it in this case.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info